Re: Applications unusable

On 19/06/06, Chris Linton-Ford <chris.lintonford@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

 On Mon, 2006-06-19 at 07:23 +0300, Dotan Cohen wrote:

 On 19/06/06, Joe Klemmer <klemmerj@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> This is starting to sound like a HW failure of some kind.

That's what I suspected, too. I have run several checks with Hiron's
boot disk, such as memtest86 and have found nothing.

Dotan Cohen

 I had a similar problem - random failures affecting a wide range of system
and userland s/w. Ran memtest, it reported the RAM to be fine, but when I
replaced the RAM the problems went away.  If you can get a stick of known
good RAM, try swapping it in and see if it helps.

 Chris

I'd love to- I've been looking for RD-RAM for about a year now. In
fact, just now I got this:

[dotancohen@localhost ~]$ limewire
GC Warning: Out of Memory!  Returning NIL!
Exception during runtime initialization
GC Warning: Out of Memory!  Returning NIL!
/usr/share/java-utils/java-functions: line 116:  5501 Aborted
      $JAVACMD $FLAGS -classpath $CLASSPATH $OPTIONS $MAIN_CLASS "$@"
[dotancohen@localhost ~]$ cat /proc/swaps
Filename                                Type            Size    Used    Priority
/dev/hda2                               partition       722916  41388   -1
[dotancohen@localhost ~]$

Does this also look like a RAM problem?

Dotan