Re: Locked up again! What can I check- I'm on another box

On Sat, 2006-06-17 at 09:35 +0100, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> My 1.5 gHz P4 256MB RAM machine keeps locking up- no response from the
> keyboard or mouse, and the screen does not change (even the spinning
> circles that show something is loading do not move). The red disk
> light is not on. It does not repsond to CTRL-ALT-DEL.

Obvious things:

Is the power supply okay?  You said you replaced it, but does the
replacement work fine on anything else?

Is the CPU heatsink and fan working properly?  The heatsink sitting flat
and firmly, not clogged with dust, and the fan spinning adequately?
Depending on your system it may not need to feel overly hot for it to be
too hot.

Disconnect all plug and sockets, including PC cards, and re-insert.
Also firmly push in any socketed ICs (like BIOS chips).  You may have a
grotty connection somewhere.

Minimise what's in the box.  Remove a sound card, try without the mouse,
etc.

I read messages from the public lists.