Re: FC4 or FC5

On Sat, 2006-06-17 at 16:16 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
> > Perhaps you don't understand why Windows is still around even with
> the
> > BSD's in existence.
>
> The BSDs were involved in a legal battle at the time Windows
> became a monopoly and much of the free software effort shifted
> to Linux - unfortunately, in my opinion.  OSX at least has a
> shot at competing with Windows on most fronts.
----
Interesting that you should mention that.

If you had read Linus's autobiography, that was the argument that Steve
Jobs made to Linus when trying to get him to tie his efforts into an
Apple against Microsoft kind of effort.

The fact is that Linus deliberately chose GPL for his kernel.

The fact is that BSD is the non-GPL, non-proprietary license alternative
and you are free to use it as Apple is free to incorporate the BSD
kernel as the basis OSX.

The fact is that you can use BSD and not Linux and thus steer clear from
GPL encumbrance and make yourself happy.

Personally, I see Apple in the same light as Microsoft...except without
the success.

Craig