Re: High resolution screen-shots

On 6/17/06, Paul Smith <phhs80@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 6/16/06, Jacques B. <jjrboucher@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Have you tried the Gimp?  It has the ability to acquire a screen shot and
> then you save it in the format you wish (within the limitation of the
> software of course)?

I have just tried that, but getting a TIF image with resolution 72 x 72 dpi.

Paul

Are you saving it with compression?  I just tried it on my PC with my screen resolution set at 1024 x 768.  I acquired the screen with the Gimp, saved it as a .tiff file with no compression.  I then opened that image and the properties were 1024 x 768, with a resolution of 76 X 72 dpi.  Still pretty lame, but a bit better.  I read before that for an image to look reasonable on screen it only needs a resolution of about 75 dpi.  That would explain why a screen capture would likely only result in approx. that resolution.  I suspect that you'd need one huge monitor to display something 300 x 300 dpi within the screen (short of a pretty small picture I guess).  That is probably where Chris was going with his suggestion.  I just ramped up my screen resolution to 1280 x 800 and the resulting screen capture was 119 x 112 dpi.  So ramp that up as high as your card & monitor will support and give that a try.

Jacques B.