Re: High resolution screen-shots

On 6/15/06, Peter Gordon <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I am trying to get high resolution screen-shots. Is there some tool
> for that? (Ksnapshot is not enough.)

Personally, I just forgo all of the GUI things and run `import -window
root screenshot.png` from a terminal window. (The 'import' utility is
part of the ImageMagick package.)

As mentioned, the resolution of the screenshot is that of your running X
desktop, so if you're running at a lower resolution, your screenshot
will be at that lower resolution. You could also try the 'convert'
utility from the same package to resize it afterward if needed.

Thanks for all replies. Maybe, I should have elaborated a bit more. In
truth, what I am trying to do is to convert screen-shots to a
vectorial format by using potrace

(http://potrace.sourceforge.net/)

Unfortunately, potrace only exhibits good results when the resolution
of the bitmap image has a high resolution. I suspect that some kind of
scaling and filtering is necessary. From the research that I have
meanwhile done through Google, a similar problem is posed when trying
to print for magazines screen-shots of games. Any ideas are most
welcome!

Paul