Re: Maxtor or WD?

On Friday June 16 2006 19:42, jdow wrote:
> And of course today Seagate, Maxtor, and Quantum are all one company.
> <sigh> That leaves WD, perhaps Hitachi, Samsung, and Seagate. If I
> did not purchase Seagate I'd probably go for Samsung. Their drives are
> solid if unimpressive performers in my experience.

I'm sure you're right about the commodity lines - I've tried to make the case
for the more expensive models, but didn't get far. Currently, we are solely
purchasing Seagate with the five year warranties. I did have my first Seagate
go down about two weeks ago - it was brand new practically, and wasn't in a
mission critical environment. They warrantied it via a form on the web - it
took all of about two minutes to get the RMA - that was a pleasant departure
from my experiences with Maxtor. I've become a backup fanatic because of
these experiences - all system drives are imaged, and we do regular data
backups to external hot-swap firewire and, more recently, to external
hot-swap SATA's which have really pleased us with their super-fast
performance, especially the SATA2 300's. I've lately installed Samsung 100gb
laptop drives in a couple of machines - we'll see how that goes...
--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA