Re: System date resetting when rebooting (FC4)

On 6/16/06, Aaron Konstam <akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Fri, 2006-06-16 at 15:51 -0500, Stéphane Bruno wrote:
> Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> > Stéphane Bruno wrote:
> >
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I installed FC4 on several Dell PowerEdge servers (PowerEdge 850, SC420,
> > > etc.), but I notice that every time I reboot the server, the system date
> > > is changed. The system cannot retain the current date. I did not choose
> > > the option 'My System clock uses UTC' when installing Fedora. I have no
> > > idea whether the system clock uses it or not. Is that the problem ? And
> > > how to fix this date problem?
> > >
> > > I cannot observe any pattern on the way the date is changed.
> > >
> > > Thank you.
> > >
> > > Stéphane
> > >

> > The hardware clock is read when the system boots, and updated when
> > the system shuts down. So unless you set the hardware clock
> > elsewhere, a wrong setting of 'My System clock uses UTC' will not
> > cause random data changes.
> >
> > What date values are you seeing? It may be you have a hardware
> > problem with the hardware clock.
> >

> I notice that when I shutdown I see an error printed on the screen
> like "Syncing hardware clock to system time... timeout or something"
> and it prints that the operation failed. Also, at startup, I notice an
> error message, something about a timeout occuring for clock tick.
>
> Stéphane
Well it seems to me you have identified where the problem lies. For this
whole reboot cycle to work the hardware clock must update the software
clock and reverse must happen at shutdown. If that cycle is failing you
will get the time screw up you. are noticing.

That error message you are seeing is the thing that must be
investigated. I have seen this problem on other Dell machines but I
can't remember the cure at this time.
--
Aaron Konstam <akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Disabling UTC will probably fix your problem.  I had a similar problem
on my system. I first had to disable NTP in the Date/Time Properties
applet., uncheck UTC in the Time Zone tab,  adjust the hours to match
local time, and then re-enable NTP.