Re: System date resetting when rebooting (FC4)

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
Stéphane Bruno wrote:

Hello,

I installed FC4 on several Dell PowerEdge servers (PowerEdge 850, SC420,
etc.), but I notice that every time I reboot the server, the system date
is changed. The system cannot retain the current date. I did not choose
the option 'My System clock uses UTC' when installing Fedora. I have no
idea whether the system clock uses it or not. Is that the problem ? And
how to fix this date problem?

I cannot observe any pattern on the way the date is changed.

Thank you.

Stéphane

The hardware clock is read when the system boots, and updated when
the system shuts down. So unless you set the hardware clock
elsewhere, a wrong setting of 'My System clock uses UTC' will not
cause random data changes.

What date values are you seeing? It may be you have a hardware
problem with the hardware clock.

Usually the date is correct but the time isn't. For example, today it was showing Fri 6 Jun 05:00:14 EST 2006 while the correct time was 10:00. It cannot be a hardware problem unless it is common to all Dell PowerEdge servers (it does it on three Dell PowerEdge servers I have, two towers and 1 rack-mount PowerEdge 850).

Stéphane