Re: Someone has succeeded with running MS Office2000 through Wine

Lets be honest here.  If you think OpenOffice is better than MS
Office, then you have not used both of them very much.

I hate Microsoft, but I've used both suites a lot, MS Office is far
superior to OpenOffice.  The Excel spreadsheet is much better than
OOcalc (sorting data, performing calculations), Powerpoint is tons and
tons better than Impress (variety of built-in styles, ease of content
creation), and Word is better than OOwriter (do equations, customize
headers, insert images, create paragraph styles, manage page numbers,
or do just about anything).

The only thing for which OpenOffice is better is creating PDF output,
which MSOffice won't do, of course.

 Gnumeric spreadsheet is as good as Excel, OOcalc aint.

pj

On 6/15/06, Paul Smith <phhs80@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 6/15/06, Keith G. Robertson-Turner
<fedora-gmane.00002@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Somebody has to say it ...
>
> Why are you trying to run a second-rate commercial Windows product on
> Linux, when there is a much better Free Open Source equivalent called
> OpenOffice.org?

:-)

Why, you ask. Well, it is precisely by the fact that I find Linux much
superior to MS Windows that I am trying to have MS Office working on
Linux. Paradoxical? Not really. At work, we must use MS applications
and I have to produce some work on MS Office. Then, to minimize the
number of times that I have to be on MS Windows, when working *at
home* (a frequent event), I am trying to have MS Office on Linux!

Paul