Re: Pam Keyring Problem

On Wed, 14 Jun 2006, Chris Maiden wrote:

Thanks Matthew

Did you install the previous package as an RPM or with configure/make/make install?

./configure
make
make install

It looks like in the step that links all the compiled object files and library references, there's one missing. Either something is broken in the build itsef or you are missing a -devel RPM with a library that is needed. Looking at the site, did you get all of the pam_keyring package, the gnome-keyring package, and the gnome-keyring-manager package?

I didn't get them all but I have now - thanks :)

I wonder why you didn't just install the prebuilt RPMs? It looks like the gnome-keyring and gnome-keyring-manager packages are designed to replace the ones that come with FC5. It's a bad idea to replace RPM-ed software with non-RPM-ed software unless you seriously know what you are doing. If the developer offers pre-built FC5 RPMs, then you should use them.

I didn't know - I just installed apache, php and mysql from src so I assumed that this was the best way... I don't seriously know what I am doing so I noted your comment... thanks

Just a point of information, FC comes with pretty recent apache, php, and mysql RPMs. Again, installing from RPM is recommended unless there is a compelling reason to do otherwise. That way, other FC5 RPMs that depend on that software know where to find it. Also, you don't have to worry about tracking updates.

I don't think that's your problem. There's a pretty good chance that your system is now clean of the old package, so I'd try installing the RPMs.

Ok I got all the packages (rpm)

I used rpm -Uvh but the replacement gnome-keyring gave an error...

rpm -Uvh gnome-keyring-0.5.0-1.20060605cvs.fc5.i386.rpm
error: Failed dependencies:
gnome-keyring = 0.4.9 is needed by (installed) gnome-keyring-devel-0.4.9-1.i386

So I did rpm -Uvh with gnome-keyring-devel-0.5.0-1.20060605cvs.fc5.i386.rpm

That installed ok and so did gnome-keyring-manager-2.14.0-3.20060605cvs.fc5.i386.rpm
and pam_keyring-0.0.8-2.fc5.i386.rpm

I tried
rpm -Uvh gnome-keyring-0.5.0-1.20060605cvs.fc5.i386.rpm again but it gave the same error

The instruction on the site to change the password is this...
/usr/libexec/pam-keyring-tool -c
but I just get the error
pam-keyring-tool: error retrieving default keyring

What is the result of "rpm -qa | grep keyring"?

Thanks for your help

Chris

--
		Matthew Saltzman