Re: Pam Keyring Problem

On Wed, 14 Jun 2006, Chris Maiden wrote:

Hi

Thanks for the advice regarding Pam Keyring yesterday! Installed it OK and logged out and back in again and I was not asked for the default keyring password so I assumed all was ok...

However - I had not used the same password for the keyring as my login password so this morning when I powered up - there was the screen asking me for the password.

So I read a bit more and discovered that I needed to change the default keyring password to match. There was a "Testing" package that enabled me to do that so...

Now this is where I think I've done something silly...

I downloaded the "Testing" pam_keyring-0.0.8.tar.gz package, rm'd the previous package and ./configure runs ok but when I make it seems to go wrong here...

Did you install the previous package as an RPM or with configure/make/make install?

gcc -g -Werror -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/include/gnome-keyring-1 -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include -g -O2 -o pam-keyring-tool pam-keyring-tool.o -lpam -lgnome-keyring
pam-keyring-tool.o: In function `pam_keyring_change_password':
/usr/local/src/pam_keyring-0.0.8/src/pam-keyring-tool.c:205: undefined reference to `gnome_keyring_change_password_sync'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [pam-keyring-tool] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/pam_keyring-0.0.8/src'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/pam_keyring-0.0.8'
make: *** [all] Error 2

Now I think it's because I just rm'd the old package and did not make uninstall?

It looks like in the step that links all the compiled object files and library references, there's one missing. Either something is broken in the build itsef or you are missing a -devel RPM with a library that is needed. Looking at the site, did you get all of the pam_keyring package, the gnome-keyring package, and the gnome-keyring-manager package?

So I think I need some guidance as how to recover from this situation.

I wonder why you didn't just install the prebuilt RPMs? It looks like the gnome-keyring and gnome-keyring-manager packages are designed to replace the ones that come with FC5. It's a bad idea to replace RPM-ed software with non-RPM-ed software unless you seriously know what you are doing. If the developer offers pre-built FC5 RPMs, then you should use them.

One thing I tried was to download the first package again and installed that - it seemed to go ok and then I did a make uninstall but when I tried with the testing package I got the same result as before.

I don't think that's your problem. There's a pretty good chance that your system is now clean of the old package, so I'd try installing the RPMs.

HTH.
..

Best Regards,

Chris