Re: Thunderbird - Building summary file?

Dan wrote:
Richard England wrote:
Bob Goodwin wrote:

I'm using Thunderbird 1.5.0.2 and FC-5 with current updates.

Periodically when I check mail it displays the message
"Building Summary File for [Inbox, whatever I select]"
and I have to wait for it to finish whatever it does. After that I have to select the threaded display of
messages again! I don't know what this "summary file"
is but I don't think I want or need it.

Does anyone know what this is about? I have only become
aware of this recently.

Bob Goodwin Zuni, Virginia

I think you _do_ need/want the summary files.

Thunderbird's mail files are in the standard plain text "mbox" format, which almost all mail programs can use or import. extension (Your mail files are inside your profile, in the Mail and (if you use IMAP) ImapMail folders. Each mail folder (Inbox, Sent, etc.) is stored as two files – one with no extension (e.g. INBOX), which is the mail file itself (in ‘mbox’ format), and one with an .msfe.g. INBOX.msf), which is the index (Mail Summary File) to the mail file. These summary files are built and updated as needed. If you delete one, Thunderbird will rebuild it for you.

I'm no expert, but do you compact your mail "folders". Is it possible that you did this while email was being downloaded? Do you have processes that delete files for any reason?

I would suggest you do some Googling on this topic. There are a lot of hits.

I don't know how helpful this is, but when I had my mail folders on a FAT32 partition, it did this consistently whenever i opened a folder for the first time upon opening thunderbird. As soon as I moved it back to an ext3 filesystem, it stopped.
-Dan

That's pretty much the symptom I see here but this is ext3 only? It only recently began doing this. I may simply remove and reinstall again eventually, but it's an effort to re-create the mail filters. But for that I would have reinstalled in a heart beat.

Thanks for the information.

BobG