Re: A few questions about Fedora

On Tue, 2006-06-13 at 21:26 -0700, Endre Szabo wrote:
> I've got a P3 800Mhz 256MB RAM 10GB HDD machine.
> I intend to make database gui apps with MySql, Python
> and the wxPython toolkit with Boa RAD tool and also
> web developement.
> So many of above will run simultaneously.
>
> I've got a few questions:
>
> 1. Is Fedora suitable for me? Used with KDE and all
> above will it have the necessary speed and stability
> on my machine?

Well, I don't know about the apps you mention, but the system will
operate with those specifications.  To be honest, I think those
applications should work fine, as well, it's usually things like X,
Gnome and KDE that are the huge resource pigs.

> 2. Where can I find a list of apps wich come with FC5?

The release notes, or by looking at the files listed in the repo
servers.

> 3. Can I install new softs or update existing ones
> without internet connection -- ie. from cd?

Yes.  You just have to arrange to get the files, somehow.

> 4. Can I install from tarballs (tar.gz) or only from
> rpm?

Yes and no.  That wasn't a well-phrased question.  Yes, you can install
however you like, but if you don't use RPMs from a repo, you have to
manage updates and conflicts by yourself.

> 5. Will softs not intented especially for fedora but
> for "generally Linux" work?

That depends...  I've installed some generic Linux software, and it's
just worked.  I've tried installing some others, but they expect you to
have installed a plethora of other, sometimes unmentioned, files.  Mind
you, though, that's a problem with any distribution of Linux.

--
(Currently running FC4, in case that's important to the thread)

I read messages from the public lists.