Mozilla - .pdf issues

Well, I am making some progress.

I have Firefox configured so that it will display .pdf files using Adobe 7, but the download manager is slow in displaying. The window doesn't come up until about 30% of the file has been downloaded. Until then, I am confronted with a blank Firefox screen, with no indication that any activity is taking
place. I don't know if my problem before was impatience.

On the other hand, I still use Mozilla for mail, and when I click on a link to a .pdf file in an email message, I get a blank Mozilla screen and no amount of waiting produces anything. When I check "about:plugins" in the address field, it indicates that the plugin is installed, and
activated, but nothing happens.

Thanks to all for the responses so far, and thanks for the patience with my slow learning.

cheers, Paul - VA7NT - email: va7nt@xxxxxxxxx

"Those who hear not the music, think the dancers mad."

“Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil.” - Thomas Mann

"That state which separates it's warriors from it's scholars will have it's thinking done by cowards and fighting done by fools" - Thucydides - The Pelopenisia