Re: FC4 or FC5

From: "Ed Greshko" <Ed.Greshko@xxxxxxxxxxx>
jdow wrote:
From: "Michael H. Warfield" <mhw@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

" It's a license.  And you are a troll."

That's your call to make. I am simply stating why *I* will not
develop open source software unless somebody somewhere pays the
full freight for my work time.

I don't get it....

You want to develop software, then sell it to make money...but you
complain that you have to pay someone else for their time/effort to
write the tools (Qt) that you are going to use to make your money?

I am complaining that it is outrageously expensive compared to the
cost it is equivalent in Windows. But basicly I am declaring why it
won't happen for the individual private developer.

You also have written in this list that you don't have time to write bug
reports...yet you have time to complain on mailing lists.

FYI, companies like Red Hat *do not* charge for the "Enterprise"
software they distribute.  They charge you for supporting the software
they distribute.  You can't legally use their distribution without the
purchase of a software maintenance agreement.

When you file a bug with Red Hat they get it fixed.  They submit the
fixes to the upstream maintainers.  It the maintainer's choice to
include it or not include it in their standard release.  If not, Red Hat
will still maintain and patch their distributed version.  The folks at
Red Hat will incorporate changes from later releases into their
Enterprise products.

That is what you are paying for...not the software bits.  You can't
download the RHEL binaries....but you can download the SRPMS and you are
very free/welcome to recompile them ala CentOS.  Red Hat is fulfilling
their responsibility as an open source member.  Something that you seem
not to want to ascribe/aspire to.

I note that over the lifetime of XP I'd have paid more for an RHEL
license than for an XP license. Linux isn't free if you want support.
If you want to sponge, which I am more honest about than most here,
then it does cost less.

That's fine....  We should all note that your email headers do show:

So, we know where your heart is....

That is making a presumption that is not in evidence. That is where my
money is. I work by telecommuting. My chief customers want the software
developed for hardware which is in no way supported by Linux or even
MacOS. Since I email back and forth with the customer it's easier to
work from the OS on which I develop.

(If I really had my druthers I'd be developing on what AmigaDOS might
have evolved into had Mehdi Ali and Irving Gould not been rapacious and
IMAO criminal. It had some features that 'ix and XP do not support in
any systematized manner. <shrug> That leaves me working on what is
convenient for my INCOME not my hobby. As a side point, I don't know
about you. But *I* have a few lines of Linux Kernal credit to my name.
That was self defense. I needed to access some specific hardware. The
kernel tools for that access were broken. I wrote the software on the
Amiga. So I fixed the cooresponding code in the kernel. That is all in
accordance with the rule, "you get for free what someone else wants to
do. If that is not what you want - do it yourself. Don't bellyache."

But you are right about one thing.  It is probably unfair to label you a
Troll.  Unfair to the Trolls that is....

Let's just say I got heartily tired of people around here whining about
their pet features not being part of this distribution. For God's sake
the ONLY pay most of the developers not on the staff of some large
company with a Linux stake to sell something OTHER than GNU/Linux get
is the fun of doing the work and the ego boost from hobby accomplishments
others applaud. So if a feature you want is not present - be a man and
put it in. Don't be a whiner. I'm simply trying to explain why I see
those who whine about this or that missing feature are losers.

{^_^}