Re: FC5 mozilla/firefox can't openb .pdf files

On Mon, 12 Jun 2006, Paul Erickson wrote:

I think I got the attributions right.

Hi Matthew,

See below.

Matthew Saltzman wrote:

Paul Erickson wrote:
When I click on a link to a .pdf file I get a "Unable to open document
Unhandled MIME type: 'application/octet-stream'"

Does this happen for every PDF or just some?

As far as I can tell, it happens to every pdf.

If you click Edit -> Preferences -> Downloads -> View Actions, is PDF listed? What does it say it will do in that case?

The only thing enabled is the "Open download manager"

Did you see the View Actions button? I need to expand the window size before it shows up. (On the other hand, I don't have anything listed in that window.)

Do you have evince or Acrobat Reader plugin installed? Do you have mozplugger installed? Is this a 64-bit or 32-bit system?

No, Acrobat is not installed. Neither is mozplugger. This is a 32-bit system.

Pretty strange. It looks like some of the bugs listed in the earlier post may be relevant, but I don't have any of those problems--PDFs open just fine. The only thing I have that I haven't seen mentioned is the Disable Targets for Downloads Firefox plugin.

I suppose you might try that.

--
		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences