Re: Wide Screen not supported? Gnome looks bad, is unusable.

Ray Lauff wrote:
> Hello all-
>
> Long time lurker, first time Fedora 5 respin 1 installer.
>
> I just installed Fedora 5 on a Intel Pentium 4 2Ghz box with a 24"
> widescreen Acer AL2416W monitor.  The system previously had Win on it,
> and the display worked fine.  During the installation, it said it had
> found the right video driver.
>
> When I boot up Fedora 5, the startup screen and the initial login
> screen look fine, but once I get to the username prompt screen, it's
> all stretched. I've played around with the settings, and pressed
> "auto" to config the display several times, and i can get the login to
> look normal, but it thinks it's at 1600x1200, even tho I told Fedora
> to use 1920x1200.

which model of monitor has the installer/config tool detected?
quite often a misdetected monitor, with the frequency settings incorrect
will cause odd behaviour.

When you say the 'settings', do you mean
system-config-display or the System->Preferences->Screen Resolution option?

if it is the latter, this will take precedence over your xorg config
file settings, so you may need to run it again when X has been correctly
configured...

when KDE is working, is it working in the correct resolution?

also, in some circumstances you may need a custom ModeLine option for
monitors with odd resolutions (I have to do this for my TV which runs at
1360x768).

man gtf will help you here.
gtf 1360 768 60
will produce a ModeLine for a 1360x768 display runnning at 60Hz refresh
rate. (which is fairly normal for an LCD and should be safe for nearly
all of them AFAIK)

e.g.
[stuart@lanky ~]$ gtf 1360 768 60

  # 1360x768 @ 60.00 Hz (GTF) hsync: 47.70 kHz; pclk: 84.72 MHz
  Modeline "1360x768_60.00"  84.72  1360 1424 1568 1776  768 769 772 795
 -HSync +Vsync

which I would usually edit:
Modeline "1360x768"  84.72  1360 1424 1568 1776  768 769 772 795
and add to my 'Monitor' section.

Regards

Stuart
- --
Stuart Sears RHCA RHCX
"Quit worrying about your health. It'll go away."
- - Robert Orben

believed to be clean.