Wide Screen not supported? Gnome looks bad, is unusable.

Hello all-

Long time lurker, first time Fedora 5 respin 1 installer.

I just installed Fedora 5 on a Intel Pentium 4 2Ghz box with a 24"
widescreen Acer AL2416W monitor.  The system previously had Win on it,
and the display worked fine.  During the installation, it said it had
found the right video driver.

When I boot up Fedora 5, the startup screen and the initial login
screen look fine, but once I get to the username prompt screen, it's
all stretched. I've played around with the settings, and pressed
"auto" to config the display several times, and i can get the login to
look normal, but it thinks it's at 1600x1200, even tho I told Fedora
to use 1920x1200.

I can login and get a desktop.  The menu at the top won't display
anything when I click on it- but the clock is running.  The screen
itself is stretched from top to bottom and other than a blue outline
around the menu items when I click on them, nothing works.

I've created several other accounts on the box, but they all suffer
from the same display problems.

I've tried to login using Gnome failsafe, but I get a "Your session
only lasted less than 10 seconds" followed by a dialog box.  The
~/.xsession-errors file says, amongst other things:  "This process is
currently running setuid or setgid.  This is not a supported use of
GTK+".  So much for fail-safe eh?

I instlaled KDE (actually reinstalled the whole OS), and I see that it
seems to come up on the display just fine.  Too bad I didn't load KDE
the first time around.

Can anyone point me to how to correct this, or am I stuck using Kde or
just sshing in from my mac to use this new box? :(

Thanks for any help.

SM