Re: FC5 rpm database corrupt

nigel henry wrote:

> Bringing other repo's into the arena can cause problems.
> Particularly I'm thinking of livna, and atrpms. I'm not too sure
> sure how you can resolve this. I'm not knocking livna or atrpms, but
> I think for doing system upgrades with more than one repo open is
> asking for trouble. you have to be carefull.

I'd agree that using ATrpm's could be problematic, purely based on the
fact that Axel seems to duplicate packages already available in
core/extras/updates. Why he does this, I'm not sure, but it does make
me very nervous about permanently enabling his repo. Like you, I am
not knocking ATrpms; just being cautious.

Similarly I would imagine that kde-redhat obsoletes/replaces Core
packages, which is fine, if changes are properly synchronised with
package changes in Core Updates (and assuming that all else being
equal, any given kde-redhat package is not buggy).

Livna OTOH is a different kettle of fish. AFAICT Dams does not
duplicate anything in Core, etc., and I've had nothing but success
with his packages. I'm not saying he's perfect, but then even Core
Updates are subject to errors - look at the recent
evolution-data-server farce, for evidence of that - nobody's perfect.

-
K.