Re: FC5 rpm database corrupt

On Sunday 11 June 2006 18:51, Claude Jones wrote:
> This is the aftermath of problems described in my thread "FC5 unbootable
> after yesterday's updates" from the past few days. There are some major
> problems with my installation that I can't seem to resolve. I have multiple
> versions of programs listed as installed - for example, if I run Synaptic,
> it says that it detects 92 broken packages; in the list that pops up after
> clicking the "OK" there are multiple programs listed as having multiple
> versions installed. I don't use Synaptic to manage the system, but it's a
> useful diagnostic tool on occasion. I've tried using yum remove and rpm -e
> to remove some of these multiple packages but the system seems to go
> through the removal process in a couple of seconds, and refreshing the list
> of installed packages shows the program version I ostensibly removed, still
> installed. I've tried "rpm --rebuilddb" and "yum clean all". I'm not sure
> where to go with this. It's ironic, because I started with a clean install
> and the intention of keeping the system exceptionally conservative; no
> additional repos were added except the kde-redhat and livna repos. I did
> not turn on any development sections of the repos, yet my system is
> seemingly more badly munged than any I've ever built.
>
> Suggestions welcome!
> --
> Claude Jones
> Brunswick, MD, USA

I have had problems, admittadly only once,with having more than one repo open
for updates.

If you have a fresh install of FC5, and are getting updates, either using Yum
(the default) or Apt, there should be no problems. Bringing other repo's into
the arena can cause problems. Particularly I'm thinking of livna, and atrpms.
I'm not too sure sure how you can resolve this. I'm not knocking livna or
atrpms, but I think for doing system upgrades with more than one repo open is
asking for trouble. you have to be carefull.

Whether it might be be better to reinstall FC5 is up to you. If you know which
packages are multiple installs, I'd open synaptic, click on the duplicated
packages, one at a time, and look under the versions tab to see where they
came from. any from livna I would remove. This may take quite some time, and
personally in your situation, although it goes against the grain, I might go
for reinstalling FC5.

If you do decide to reinstall FC5, I'd use the default repo's for updates that
come with Yum, or with Apt from Fedora extras. There's nothing wrong with
other repo's for specific packages, but I'd make that they are commented out
in the case of Apt, or set at "enabled=0" in the case of Yum when doing a Yum
update, or an apt-get update, then apt-get dist-upgrade.

This is only my opinion based on past experience, and do not wish to start a
Yum versus Apt flamewar, or whether using multiple repo's for updates cause
problems or not.

Nigel.