Re: Updating & GDM

Tim wrote:
On Sun, 2006-06-11 at 01:37 +0300, Caser wrote:
After updating my system by software Updater (06.07.2006)
then rebooting ... i received this error massage

GDM: Xserver not found: /usr/X11R6/bin/X :0 -audit 0 -auth /var/gdm/:0.Xauth -nolisten tcp vt7
Error: Command could not be executed!
Please install the X server or correct GDM configuration and restart
GDM

i tried to configure X server (i found my Vcard was not correct)

may be the problem was (gdm)

gdm.i386 2.14.4-1.fc5.2

i removed it...

but the login screen went to default

im confused!???

thanks....

p.s i dont login KDE

There's three common login managers that I'm aware of:

GDM - Gnome
KDM - KDE
XDM - Generic X

If you're removed gdm, you're not going to be able to use it.  I've used
GDM to login to a box that used KDE.  I don't know if you can use KDM to
login to a box that's not using KDE.

I needed to remove gdm during the wrong file location for the X server. When I did 'yum erase gdm' and rebooted, the next login manager in the chain allowed me to shutdown, login through a host of display managers. I have xfce installed as well, so it might have been yet another xfce display manager.

Jim

Either put it back, or reconfigure to use something else.

--
You had mail.  Paul read it, so ask him what it said.