Re: Photo gallery recommendation?

On 6/11/06, Tim <ignored_mailbox@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sun, 2006-06-11 at 12:34 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
> The download includes a picassa-specific version of wine so there
> is an extra few MB of overhead until the fixes make it into the
> mainstream version.
>
> http://picasa.google.com/linux/learn_more.html

I've already seen that, but it still doesn't avoid the fact that you're
running a Windows program.  It's not really a Linux version of Picasa.

I've yet to experience anything running through an emulation (and I'm
aware that Wine says it's not an emulation), run as fast, or as well as,
an application that's meant for your OS.

But even though Wine says it is not an emulator, you still think it
is? Then I have to ask what you think of applications that is written
in Java, Python, Mono etc... They to require a run-time enviroment.

Even if you don't want to use Picasa, I think the fact that Google
invested the time and money into making Picasa run on linux shows that
the linux desktop is finally gaining some attention from the "big
players". I don't see why that is a bad thing? Sure, they "should"
have created a "real" linux port, preferably for both GTK and QT to
please everyone, but come on, its their money, they choose how to
spend them.

I read messages from the public lists.