Re: Goto Command Line from Grub without X

On Sun, 2006-06-11 at 13:58, Bob Hartung wrote:
> I guess that I was not clear.  I understand how to change the default
> action during boot by editing inittab.  Sometimes however, as when
> compiling the nVidida linux drivers, I must be in a non-X environment
> without X running at all.  In this case it would be nice to be able to
> boot to a non-X environment without editing inittab.  Such as before
> grub we could enter Linux 3 at boot and go to a non-X system without the
> inittab edit.

If you hit a key while the grub menu is displayed you can edit
the kernel line to change the options passed.  First highlight
the grub menu selection you want (probably the default one), hit
'e' to edit, select the kernel line and hit 'e' to edit, add
the runlevel you want at the end of the line - '3' in this case,
then 'b' to boot.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx