Re: Disable ipv6 module

On Sunday 11 June 2006 13:31, Tim wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-06-11 at 12:11 +0100, Leon wrote:
> > What's the clean way of preventing the kernel from loading ipv6
> > module? I don't need ipv6 for the moment.
>
> One way, on FC4, is to add the following alias line into
> your /etc/modprobe.conf file:
>
> alias net-pf-10 off

Hi Tim. Just out of interest, how does "net-pf-10" reference just the ipv6
part of the "S10network" shellscript in /etc/rc.d/rc5.d ?

For earlier versions (FC1,2,and3) I normally just added modules I did not want
loaded at bootup to hotplugs blacklist, stuff like the OSS modules "audio"
and "usb_midi" when using Alsa. But hotplug is no longer being used on FC5.

I have made changes to /etc/modprobe.conf before, but only for the load
ordering of Alsa soundcard modules, snd-emu10k1, snd-usb-audio, etc, and
these are written just as they appear in /sbin/lsmod. /sbib/lsmod shows ipv6
as a module, which is why I ask about the specific syntax you use to have it
set to "off" at bootup.

Nigel.