Re: Usual "forbidden items" explanation

Keith G. Robertson-Turner wrote:
> Ed Greshko wrote:
>>> Rex Dieter:
>>> Hmm, I think it still deserves being referred to as mysterious.  I
>>> don't recall it giving you any useful clues about how to get it
>>> working.  You have to work it out through other means.  And it still
>>> doesn't make sense about why it can't play some unencumbered file
>>> types that other things already can.
>>
>> I'm sorry, I must have missed the list of unencumbered file types
>> folks were having trouble to play.  I'm not having any particular
>> issues, but will admit that my usage in this area may be a bit narrow.
>>
>> So, if it isn't too much trouble, could you list what formats are
>> having problems with and if there is a link/file on the internet one
>> can test against.
>
> Certainly.
>
> http://ia300124.us.archive.org/3/items/TrustedComputing/
>
> "You do not have a decoder installed to handle this file." for the H264
> or XviD. The Theora file only plays back audio, the video component is
> missing.

You seem to be implying that TrustedComputing_LAFKON_MID_theora.avi
contains common codecs that can be played on other platforms.  I tried
to play it on a Windows XP system with "Windows Media Player",
"RealPlayer", and "Quick Time".  None of these was able to play it and
were unable to download a video codec even though they tried.

So, your point is?  Or, are you just spreading FUD?

> MPlayer plays every MM file on that page without error.
>
> Like I said, I've yet to find a file that Totem will actually play (at
> all - or properly).

I don't use Totem...

As far as I can tell/recall, the original intent of this exercise was
not to get Totem working but to determine what formats could not be
played on FC5 that could be played on other platforms.  So far, none has
been pointed out since I can't play the above file you called out on any
other platform either.

--
ISO applications:
	A solution in search of a problem!