Re: RANT: DVD playback is rough

Ed Greshko wrote:
Arthur Pemberton wrote:
After several attempts with a combination of mplayer, xine, totem and
ogle I can't play a DVD that is legally in my possesion. I can however
play any DVD rip that I can get my hands on. I _could_ reboot down to
Windows. But I just don't see why. To the powers that be, please put a
Window's only sticker on DVDs if that is only where it is meant to be
used.

I can't find fault in the hackers who made the first few seconds of
the disks introduction play. Peace be with them.

Sorry, just kinda upset about spending an hour trying to make a DVD disk
play.

For the curious, these are the errors I got with Ogle (those from xine
were similiar, but more numerous)

*** Zero check failed in ifo_read.c:926
   for vts_ptt_srpt->zero_1 = 0x2400

*** libdvdread: CHECK_VALUE failed in ifo_read.c:928 ***
*** for vts_ptt_srpt->nr_of_srpts < 100 ***

FATAL[ogle_nav]: ifoRead_VTS_PTT_SRPT failed
ERROR[ogle_ctrl]: ogle_sysv_shmrm: Invalid argument

Have you installed libdvdcss?

I think my DAY of trying to get a commercial DVD movie to play will be useful. I have watched whole movies on my FC4 computer. Here is what works. You must yum totem and xine as a pair from Europe and also from Europe get the Codex files. These 3 things are required and they are all from Europe. When these things are all intalled use totem to diplay the movie. Xine will not work and neither will mplayer.

73 Karl