Re: duplicate software raid with dd?

The tool for jobs like this is "g4u"  Works awesome. Very well
documented.  Have used many times without hassle.

g4u - Harddisk Image Cloning for PCs

http://www.feyrer.de/g4u/

You download the cd image, burn it, then reboot off that CD and type
some commands.  Can copy a disk entirely or by partitition (but that
misses the MBR), can copy onto network or onto local drive.

pj

On 6/8/06, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, 2006-06-08 at 19:28 -0400, Neal Becker wrote:
> I have 2 drives setup with lvm.  They are basically raid 0 (striped).  One
> is dying.
>
> I wonder if could duplicate the partitions to a new drive using dd.  I need
> to copy the lvm identity as well.  I'm guessing that is in the boot block
> of the drive?
>
> So if I have sda, with partitions sda1, sda2, then if I use dd to
> copy /dev/sda, /dev/sda1, /dev/sda2, then swap the drives and I'm good?

/dev/sda is the entire drive, including the boot block, partition table
and all partitions.  You won't need to copy sda1 and sda2 separately.

--
 Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx