From: Dave Peck [mailto:c-fedora@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, June 07, 2006 5:58 PM
To: 'fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx'
Subject: FC5: need help -- redraw glitches, then hangs.

My clean install of FC5 is hanging regularly. By hang, I mean that the mouse
and keyboard become 100% unresponsive and all processes seem to come to a
complete halt. The only solution is a hard restart.

I can predict when a hang is imminent: I start to see redraw glitches. For
example, my desktop background won't get updated when I drag a window, or
entire apps -- like Firefox -- will fail to redraw.

My guess is that I'm running into video driver problems. Has anyone seen
this behavior with FC5, or can anyone give me troubleshooting tips? I
haven't been able to keep more than ten minutes of uptime because of this
problem.

Machine Details:

  - Asus P5GD2 Deluxe Motherboard
  - Intel P4/3GHz
  - ATI Radeon X300 PCIE
  - Samsung Syncmaster 213T; using 1600x1200 resolution
  - Clean install (as in, reformat hard drives) of FC5 + fully yum updated
  - Machine ran FC4 for over a year without a hitch.

  If it is of interest, my xorg.conf file is at
  http://delver.org/files/xorg.conf

Thanks,
Dave