Re: FC4 -- Mozilla Mail 1.7.12 Trashes Inbox

chris mohler wrote:

On 6/7/06, *Robert L Cochran* <cochranb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:cochranb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    This evening, I started Mozilla 1.7.12 under Fedora Core 4 and
    immediately clicked Window, Mail and Newsgroups to start Mozilla Mail
    just as I always did. It started up and then did something new to me:
    the Inbox viewers (both right-side panes) didn't fill up with a
    list of
    old emails as usual, and instead stayed blank. The hourglass stayed on
    for a while, about 60 seconds. Suddenly, ever email I have in the
    inbox
    between 02/22/2006 and now is trashed!

    Only Inbox seems to be affected. The other folders seem okay.

    I admit I had over 5000 emails in Inbox.

    Is this a known issue? What's the fix for it if so?

    Thanks

    Bob Cochran

I had thunderbird do something similar once - look in ~/.mozilla or wherever mozilla keeps the mailbox files and see if the old inbox is still there - if so, you should be able to copy the affected mailbox somewhere and repair it, or extract the messages from it.

This is the page I used to fix my TB problem. (part II)

HTH,
Chris

Thanks, Chris. I haven't made a backup of my mail files since March 18 so this experience motivated me to get real busy with tar and mkisofs. I'm eating humble pie tonight. Were you going to provide a web page link for fixing your Thunderbird problem? I don't see it there and will be glad to have it.

Thanks

Bob Cochran