Re: kde in extras - the devel discussion

On Tue, 2006-06-06 at 20:16 -0500, Rex Dieter wrote:
> Andy Goss wrote:
> > On Tue, 2006-06-06 at 14:05 +0100, Mike Cohler wrote:
> >> I see that there is a long thread in fedora-devel about whether to
> >> push KDE out into extras. There are a lot of people out there (Linus T
> >> for one !) who feel that KDE should be part of the OS.  I would hate
> >> to see KDE pushed out of the core.
> >>
> >> What do you think ?
>
> > Why alienate your most enthusiastic users? Who else is going to
> > recommend your distro?
> >
> > If FC did not support KDE, which in FC4 at least it does rather well for
> > my purposes, I would not be using FC at all. There are plenty of KDE
> > distros around.
>
> Why do you conclude that KDE -> Extras implies that FC does not support
> KDE?  I would argue that support for KDE will improve by the move.
>
> -- Rex

If KDE is not there up front with no quibbles for new users then it will
only be used by stroppy old users. The relative usage will move to GNOME
and then "Oh look, KDE is sliding, ditch it."

This is an old trick that has been used in many companies (not just IT)
where for various reasons somebody does not like one product and wants
it done away with even though it sells well.

This is more a marketing than a technical issue. A new user will
generally take the default, on the supposition that it will be the
easiest to get to grips with. Then they will go on using it, even if
something else might suit them better.

I began with the default GNOME but moved to KDE when I found that Kate
fitted my requirements better than Gedit. Both have merits, but KDE has,
for me, more. My children run GNOME quite quite happily, it suits their
purposes. KDE suits mine, we need both, and others, as up-front options,
not add-ons for geeks.

Andy Goss