Re: sendmail questions about deferred messages

Les Mikesell wrote:
On Mon, 2006-06-05 at 07:09, Ambrogio wrote:

Sendmail needs to do DNS lookups to canonicalize the address before it can determine whether the address is local or not.
the hosts file is not enough?
I see query to redhat.com for MX when messages is from fedora list.
But I think that query should be for my account and so for my MX.

Sendmail checks the sender's address too. There's an option
to reject messages that have addresses that DNS can't resolve
and if you permit them it will add a 'may be forged' comment
in the headers.

I think the "may be forged" comment applies when a reverse DNS lookup yields a hostname that doesn't resolve back to the same IP address. Clearly that would apply for an unresolvable domain, but there are other causes as well.

Paul.