Re: /lib/modules/`uname -r`/misc - shouldn't this be a directory?

On 4 Jun 2006, at 21:23, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

Sam Varshavchik wrote:
Ben Lancaster writes:

Hey,

I can't seem to install the standalone imon_vfd drivers from http://
venky.ws:

# make install
depmod
/usr/bin/install imon_vfd.ko /lib/modules/`uname -r`/misc

Following that:
# modprobe imon_vfd
FATAL: Module imon_vfd not found.

By my logic, shouldn't the install process have effectively copied
the imon_vfd driver to a directory called misc within my running kernel?

Correct.

Here's what stat says:

It's an executable file! Is that right??

No.

The driver makefile is broken.  It assumes that the misc subdirectory
already exists.

It is broken in another way as well - depmod should be run after the
module is installed, not before. The depmod command updates the
modules table. If you do not do that after installing a new module,
the kennel and the module utilities will not know about the module.
A reboot will take care of this as well, because depmod is run at
bootup as part of the init scripts. The make file should probably
use "depmod -A" to save a bit of time.

Mikkel

All in all, that's one broken makefile!

So a quick fix would be to remove the 'misc' file, create a directory in its place, and re-install, followed by 'depmod'?

Ben