Re: screen saver and screen lock will not work on FC5

> Kevin Kofler wrote:
> > Erik Hemdal <ehemdal <at> townisp.com> writes:
> >> This will happen if you are logged in as root.  When the
> screensaver
> >> runs as user root, it acts as though no one is logged on
> and that the
> >> screen therefore should not be locked.
> >
> > Huh? That's horribly broken. KDE's kscreensaver can lock
> the screen for root
> > just fine.
>
> This subject has been hashed over recently.  Troll the archives.

Yes.  I started the thread about it.  I know that it's broken, and submitted
a bug about it, but nevertheless, it works this way under GNOME and it's
apparently considered necessary behavior. I believe the xscreensaver FAQ
says it's for "good and insurmountable reasons."  Gnome-screensaver appears
to work the same way.  From what I could find, the screensaver can't
distinguish between running as root because it was started by xdm (in which
case no one is logged in and the screen should not lock) and running as root
because root is logged in (in which case the screen should be locked).  This
at least is a plausible explanation why it works this way, although KDE has
somehow found a way to make things behave as one would expect.

I guess I should insert the standard disclaimer that one should not log in
as root.  But it's possible to do that, and when you do under GNOME, the
screen will not lock.

Erik