Re: skype version

Rickey Moore wrote:
On Sat, 2006-06-03 at 08:40 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:

But I believe that test would be the end of the ultimate pissing match I've become embroiled in on alsa's bugzilla list over its lack of full duplex operation in anything but carefully preset laboratory experiments. It does work nicely there, but not in the real world, which the alsa folks are apparently refusing to consider as a real problem because their response is 'fix the app, alsa works'.

Gene, I gave up on using full-duplex some time ago as alsa would eat up
about 80% of my cpu when it was set. I have wanted to play with Skype.
So I'm just wandering as I wonder suppose you use two sound cards? Would
the two at half duplex be less of a load than one running full duplex?
It's a thought, and I wondered if you have considered it? Ric

I am running 2 cards in the box at home, using skype_dsp_hijacker -2nd, and that fails very similarly to what this lappy is doing. My -2nd sound card there is actually the motherboard chipset, an nforce2 thingy.

Card 0 is an audigy 2 value. And yes, I have seen skype using 90% of an AMD 2800XP. I haven't noticed that effect on this lappy though.

And I'd never considered trying to crosslink the i/o paths, it might work I suppose if one had 2 real devices. This lappy doesn't, sigh...

--
Cheers, Gene