Re: RANT: DVD playback is rough

Arthur Pemberton wrote:
On 6/2/06, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Fri, 2006-06-02 at 06:14, Karl Larsen wrote:

> I think my DAY of trying to get a commercial DVD movie to play will > be useful. I have watched whole movies on my FC4 computer. Here is what
> works. You must yum totem and xine as a pair from Europe and also from
> Europe get the Codex files. These 3 things are required and they are all > from Europe. When these things are all intalled use totem to diplay the
> movie. Xine will not work and neither will mplayer.

Follow the instruction link at the top of this page:
http://rpm.livna.org/configuration.html
to do a one-line rpm command, after which you
can 'yum install xine mplayer vlc libdvd*' and
use the player of your choice.

Thaks for the advice, but I've tried it all:

[root@Watson ~]# rpm -qa | grep dvd
libdvdcss-1.2.9-2.lvn5
libdvdread-0.9.4-4.lvn5
dvd+rw-tools-5.21.4.10.8-6.2.1
mythdvd-0.19-122.rhfc5.at
libdvdnav-0.1.10-2.lvn5
libdvdplay-1.0.1-4.lvn5

Try:
yum remove totem
yum install totem-xine
Then try running it on totem, with the xine backend from livna.
-Dan