Re: xorg.conf no longer changeabe by system-config-display

On Tue, 2006-05-30 at 22:15 -0400, Jim Cornette wrote:
> Marcelo Magno T. Sales wrote:
> > Em Segunda 29 Maio 2006 08:38, Irvine Short escreveu:
> >> I have an IBM T43 with the Intel 915 chipset running FC5. I wanted to
> >> extend my desktop onto my external monitor which would not work using
> >> system-config-display. I then manually hacked my xorg.conf and now I
> >> have a working extended desktop but I can no longer go into
> >> system-config-display.
>

> As a GUI tool, it expects some items within a certain location and
> format to deal with the configuration file.

Yep, that's what the python errors looked like.

> Anyway, it would help to progress the s-c-display tool if you would file
> a bug regarding the failures encountered with the tool and your
> customized and working xorg.conf file to the developers. Dual-display
> and s-c-display need a lot of improvement.

Good idea, I'll look into that.

> >> Anyone have any tips for getting around this please? Also a neat idea
> >> for choosing different xorg.conf files for whether or not I have my
> >> external monitor connected would be handy.
>
> That indeed would be handy to have a profile manager for different
> display conditions in a similar fashion to network cards or other items
> are dynamically controlled.

I'll have a look to see if http://netenv.sourceforge.net/ works - it
says in the blurb it will do your xorg.conf along with proxies etc.

> > Your video is working ok using the i815 driver?

Yes, with the i810 driver. It worked out of the box with a single
monitor but I had to hack it for the extended desktop.

I used the xorg.conf  from http://news.tiker.net/hardware/r52 with a few
tweaks. My own xorg.conf is below.

Cheers,

--Irvine

Section "Files"
	#FontPath	"unix/:7100"			# local font server
	# if the local font server has problems, we can fall back on these
	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc"
	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/cyrillic"
	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/:unscaled"
	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/:unscaled"
	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/Type1"
	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/CID"
	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi"
	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi"
EndSection

Section "Module"
	Load	"bitmap"
	Load	"dbe"
	Load	"ddc"
	Load	"dri"
	Load	"extmod"
	Load	"freetype"
	Load	"xinerama"
	Load	"glx"
	Load	"int10"
	Load	"record"
	Load	"type1"
	Load	"v4l"
	Load	"vbe"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier	"Generic Keyboard"
	Driver		"keyboard"
	Option		"CoreKeyboard"
	Option		"XkbRules"	"xorg"
	Option		"XkbModel"	"pc104"
	Option		"XkbLayout"	"us"
	Option		"XkbOptions"	"nodeadkeys"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier	"Configured Mouse"
	Driver		"mouse"
	Option		"CorePointer"
	Option		"Device"		"/dev/input/mice"
	Option		"Protocol"		"ImPS/2"
	Option		"Emulate3Buttons"	"true"
	Option		"ZAxisMapping"		"4 5"
EndSection
Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier	"Synaptics Touchpad"
	Driver		"synaptics"
	Option		"SendCoreEvents"	"true"
	Option		"Device"		"/dev/psaux"
	Option		"Protocol"		"auto-dev"
	Option		"HorizScrollDelta"	"0"
EndSection

Section "Device"
	Identifier	"crd0"
	Driver		"i810"
	BusID		"PCI:0:2:0"
	Screen		0
	Option		"VideoRam" "32768"
	Option		"MonitorLayout" "CRT,LFP"
	Option		"DDC" "false"
EndSection
Section "Device"
	Identifier	"crd1"
	Driver		"i810"
	BusID		"PCI:0:2:0"
	Option		"VideoRam" "32768"
	Screen		1
	Option		"DDC" "true"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier	"monLCD"
	Option		"DPMS"
	HorizSync	28-49
	VertRefresh	43-72
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier	"monExternal"
	Option		"DPMS"
	HorizSync	31-80
	VertRefresh	55-150
EndSection

Section "Screen"
	Identifier	"scrLCD"
	Device		"crd0"
	Monitor		"monLCD"
	DefaultDepth	24
	SubSection "Display"
		Depth		15
		Modes		"1024x768"
	EndSubSection
	SubSection "Display"
		Depth		16
		Modes		"1024x768"
	EndSubSection
	SubSection "Display"
		Depth		24
		Modes		"1024x768"
	EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Screen"
	Identifier	"scrExternal"
	Device		"crd1"
	Monitor		"monExternal"
	DefaultDepth	24
#	SubSection "Display"
#		Depth		15
#		Modes		"1280x1024"
#	EndSubSection
#	SubSection "Display"
#		Depth		16
#		Modes		"1280x1024"
#	EndSubSection
	SubSection "Display"
		Depth		24
		Modes		"1280x1024"
	EndSubSection
#	SubSection "Display"
#		Depth		24
#		Modes		"1400x1050"
#	EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
	Option		"Xinerama"	"true"
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
	Identifier	"Default Layout"
	Screen		"scrLCD"
	Screen		"scrExternal" LeftOf "scrLCD"
	InputDevice	"Generic Keyboard"
	InputDevice	"Configured Mouse"
	InputDevice	"Synaptics Touchpad"
EndSection

Section "DRI"
	Mode	0666
EndSection

This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and may also be legally
privileged and/or copyright material of Intec Telecom Systems PLC (or its
affiliated companies). If you are not an intended or authorised recipient
of this e-mail or have received it in error, please delete it immediately
and notify the sender by e-mail. In such a case, reading, reproducing,
printing or further dissemination of this e-mail or its contents is strictly
prohibited and may be unlawful.
Intec Telecom Systems PLC does not represent or warrant that an attachment
hereto is free from computer viruses or other defects. The opinions
expressed in this e-mail and any attachments may be those of the author and
are not necessarily those of Intec Telecom Systems PLC.