Re: NFS install images can't be found

On 5/25/06, Frank Cox <theatre@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I was trying to update a machine from FC3 to FC5 yesterday.  In accord with my
usual practice, I put the machine on my network, booted off of the network
install CD, said that I want to use a NFS image and pointed the computer to my
NFS server and the directory where the images are stored.

And it told me that it can't find the images.

I checked from other computers on my network and the images are in place and
haven't changed, moved or done anything.  And I updated another machine using
exactly the same procedure over the weekend, and did a new install last week on
yet another one with no problem at all.

I'm wondering if it can't find the network card or something -- which would be
odd because when I did the original FC3 install on that box I used the same
"read NFS image" procedure and it worked fine.  (Haven't installed off of CD's
for some years now.)  If I really have to, I will burn a set of CD's and update
the machine that way but I'd really prefer to avoid that.

I tried rebooting and entering the information again a couple of times with the
same result.  And was double-checking for typos, even though I have my network
numbers memorized.

Has anyone else seen this happen?

On the target machine, when you boot and get to the screen to point to
the NFS location, try getting to a shell prompt (cycle through the
CTRL-ALT-Function keys, I forget which one). Try pinging your NFS
server or trying to mount the exported NFS directory to a temporary
directory.

On the host machine with the NFS server, open a terminal and run:
# tail -f -n 20 /var/log/message
Do this before your target machine accesses the NFS location. If there
is a connection error it (may) show up here. This was the case for me
when I had made a mistake in the netmask for /etc/exports

-Mauriat