CDROM/DVDROM drives on SATA IDE = no DMA

Hi,

I have several desktop machines and notebooks which have CDROM / DVDROM
connected to IDE SATA interfaces and they all have DMA disabled. Every time
the CDROM/DVDROM drives are accessed, the computers slow down a lot and
become almost unusable till it's finished. hdparm shows:
[marcelo.sales@sf002698 ~]$ /sbin/hdparm /dev/dvd

/dev/dvd:
 IO_support   =  0 (default 16-bit)
 unmaskirq    =  0 (off)
 using_dma    =  0 (off)
 keepsettings =  0 (off)
 readonly     =  0 (off)
 readahead    = 256 (on)
 HDIO_GETGEO failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device

When I try to enable DMA using hdparm, I get:
[root@sf002698 ~]# hdparm -d1 /dev/dvd

/dev/dvd:
 setting using_dma to 1 (on)
 HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted
 using_dma    =  0 (off)

Checking the config file for the stock kernel installed in these machines, I
see:
[marcelo.sales@sf002698 ~]$ grep _BLK_ /boot/config-$(uname -r) | grep SATA
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE_SATA is not set

I assume this is the reason why I can't turn on DMA, am I right? I believe
many, many people shall suffer from this problem too. Should I open an RFE
asking to enable this in the next kernel or is there a specific reason for
not enabling this in the stock kernels? I hope I'll not need to recompile the
kernel and install it in all these machines just because of this :)

Thanks,

Marcelo