kernel version seems to be 2.6.15-1.2054.  the text below is clipped
from the sas log file of a sucessful batch job run on that installation.
 I re-installed FC5 because when I did an update of some parts of FC5,
sas no longer worked.  So it would seem that 2.6.15-1.2054_FC5 is on the
cusp of acceptability to Sas.  That, or I would need to recompile later
kernels and see if I can include linux thread support, something that I
am not prepared to do.

1                                                          The SAS
System                              11:58 Wednesday, May 24, 2006

NOTE: Copyright (c) 2002-2003 by SAS Institute Inc., Cary, NC, USA.
NOTE: SAS (r) 9.1 (TS1M3)
      Licensed to XXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXX, Site nnnnnnnnnn.
NOTE: This session is executing on the Linux 2.6.15-1.2054_FC5
platform.

<some news text clipped out>

NOTE: SAS initialization used:
      real time           0.13 seconds
      cpu time            0.06 seconds

1          data test;
2          	do n = 1 to 10;
3          	output ;
4          	end;
5          run;

NOTE: The data set WORK.TEST has 10 observations and 1 variables.
NOTE: DATA statement used (Total process time):
      real time           0.02 seconds
      cpu time            0.03 seconds

6

NOTE: SAS Institute Inc., SAS Campus Drive, Cary, NC USA 27513-2414
NOTE: The SAS System used:
      real time           0.16 seconds
      cpu time            0.09 seconds

I hope this helps the original poster, and doens't just add to
confusion.  It seems, in summary, that you don't need to go back to 7.1
to get sas to work on the i386 platform.

Ron
Confidentiality: This email message may contain confidential
information and is intended only for the individual named. If you
are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute
or copy this email. Please notify the sender immediately by email
if you have received this email by mistake and delete this email
from your system. Email transmissions cannot be guaranteed to be
secure or error free as information could be intercepted, corrupted,
lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses.
The sender therefore does not accept any liability for errors or
omissions in the contents of this message that arise as a result
of email transmissions. If verification is required please request a hard
copy version.