Re: How do I get a shutdown/restart dialogue option under the system menu at run level 3 in FC5?

On Thu, 2006-05-18 at 20:11 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:

> Oh, I didn't ask you what you had to do, that I already know.  I asked
> you "whose recommendation" are you following.
>
> Been using the nvidia drivers for years now.  Yes, there is a bit of
> work involved when a new kernel is released....but following a few rules
> makes life easier.
>
> 1.  Exclude the kernel updates from normal yum updates.  Do you kernel
> updates manually after you listening to masses complain or not.  A
> fiasco happened not too long ago.....
>
> 2.  Manually update the kernel and kernel-devel packages.
>
> 3.  Boot and at the grub screens append a 3 to kernel params to bring
> the system up to level 3.
>
> 4.  Run the nvidia install again....will fix things up.
>
> 5.  Reboot....
>
> Your done....  No fuss no muss....  At least I've not had any in the
> past 2 years...but then I'm conservative.

I too have been happily using the nvidia installer for years without
problems. One thing I would add is that after the initial full install
of the nvidia driver use the -K option when installing for new kernels:

	./NVIDIA-<version>-pkg1.run -K

This installs the kernel module for the new kernel but does not
uninstall earlier modules, allowing you to boot any previous kernels you
may have installed and use X.

--
Brian Gaynor
www.pmccorp.com