Re: How do I get a shutdown/restart dialogue option under the system menu at run level 3 in FC5?

On Thu, 2006-05-18 at 07:52 -0400, Stanley A. Klein wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-05-18 at 02:57 -0400, Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
> > Message: 7
> > Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 12:05:47 +0800
> > From: Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> > Subject: Re: How do I get a shutdown/restart dialogue option under the
> > 	system menu at run level 3 in FC5?
> > To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
> >
> > Stanley A. Klein wrote:
> >
> > I put a more meaningful subject back in...
> >
> > > Gracefully is what the -h option of poweroff appears to do.  It shuts
> > > down the drive before shutting down all power.  Right now, a shutdown
> > > kills all power, and I can hear the drive spin down after the power goes
> > > off.  On my dual-boot laptop, until FC5, I had to reboot into Windows to
> > > get a graceful shutdown.
> > >
> > > Now the question is how to edit the menu to get the dialogue when I do a
> > > non-graphical (run level 3) boot and bring up X by entering startx,
> > > versus doing a run level 5 boot directly into X.  It turns out the menus
> > > you get are different and I need to fix it.
> >
> > Why not just create application icon on your desktop and be done with it?
> >
> > > I needed to set up the non-graphical boot because my laptop has an
> > > Nvidia display and they recommend changing the boot to run level 3.
> >
> > Who are they?  I've not heard of that recommendation before....
> >

> Nvidia makes display cards that manufacturers put into machines.  There
> is an x.org driver for Nvidia, but it rarely works right.  To make an
> Nvidia display work properly, you have to go to their site, download
> their driver installer, go root, and run the installer (which will
> possibly compile and install the kernel module that runs their display).
> This is best done from run level 3.  If you do a general yum update and
> yum installs a new kernel, you have to either rerun the driver installer
> for the new kernel or edit /boot/grub/grub.conf to make the old kernel
> the default.  I don't know what happens when the screen driver crashes
> during a graphical (run level 5) boot, but I'd rather not experience
> it.
>

> Stan Klein

You missed Aa srep. When a new kernel is installed you have to remove
the old drivers while the old kernel is running then boot in to run
level 3 with the new kernel and install the new drivers. Then go to run
level 5.
--
Aaron Konstam <akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>