Re: Procmail battles

Paul Michael Reilly wrote:
I have been following this thread in utter fascination and despair.
It started out because procmail doesn't work (does not process
~/.procmailrc) for me with FC5 out of the chute.

It does for me. Perhaps we should concentrate on resolving why that is happening rather that just ranting about SELinux.

For starters, it's easy to establish if this is actually an SELinux problem at all. Without changing any configuration files, run this:

# setenforce 0

This turns off SELinux policy enforcement. Now try your mail delivery again. If it works, you have an SELinux problem. If not, your problem lies elsewhere.

What are the permissions and ownership of your .procmailrc file and each one of its parent directories?

> Keep in mind that
I'm trying to learn procmail.  A message that I should learn selinux
in order to enable FC5 to be able to learn procmail is not exactly the
kind of message I was looking for.

I agree with that. The procmail policy is broken but it's getting fixed - I use procmail extensively myself and have been reporting issues as they crop up on fedora-selinux-list, and fixes have been going into policy updates.

I'd be real happy to hear someone
say, "keep selinux off entirely until FC6 comes out and then procmail
and selinux will play nice again", which is my basically my plan for
focusing on procmail.

It's not the best plan though. If we can concentrate on finding the actual problem it'll get fixed much sooner, which will not only mean you get the benefits of SELinux long before FC6, it'll also mean that other people get the benefits of the fixes too (assuming that your setup is not the cause of the problem).

Is there a reason I should NOT file a bug
report for this procmail/selinux issue?

By all means do, but you might find that the list resolves the issue more quickly if you give it a chance.

Paul.