Re: Procmail battles

On Sat, 2006-05-13 at 21:42 -0400, Paul Michael Reilly wrote:
> Les Mikesell <lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
>  > On Sat, 2006-05-13 at 14:48, Paul Michael Reilly wrote:
>  >
>  > > LOGFILE=/root/procmail.log
>  > > LOGABSTRACT=yes
>  > > VERBOSE=1
>  > >
>  > > and send mail to "root" then I actually see an abstract appended to
>  > > /root/procmail.log which is consistent with the procmail man page in
>  > > that it says $HOME/.procmailrc will get processed.  I leaped,
>  > > incorrectly it would appear, to the conclusion that $HOME referred to
>  > > the mail target.  It must be referring to the User running procmail,
>  > > i.e. "root" on a stock Fedora Core system, which makes considerable
>  > > sense.  This, I believe, is the crux of my battles.
>  >
>  > $HOME is the expansion of the environment variable HOME, which
>  > is set to the 6th field of the user's /etc/passwd file entry,
>  > i.e. their home directory.  This happens in a straightforward
>  > way during logins and is emulated in procmail runs.
>  >
>  > > So that raises the question: how does one configure mail (sendmail or
>  > > otherwise) on a stock Fedora Core system so that ~User/.procmailrc
>  > > will be processed for all User's on the system?
>  >
>  > ~user is expanded in a shell to the same thing as $HOME would be for
>  > that user.  Sendmail should, by default, use procmail for everyone
>  > which should then process their .procmailrc but it will not trust
>  > files where the permissions allow write access by others.
>
> Excellent.  This insight has led to the real culprit: selinux.
> Disabling selinux leads to FC4 level behavior so it is a safe bet that
> a more stringent FC5 selinux setting is what is ailing me.  Now,
> ideally, I should be able to google FC5, selinux and mail and get some
> insight.  Not so.  Anyone have a reference where I can learn what
> FC5 now expects from sendmail/procmail to make selinux happy?  The
> entries in /var/log/messages are not exactly real informative:
>
> May 13 21:22:04 roamer kernel: audit(1147569724.815:39): avc:  denied  { search } for  pid=26417 comm="procmail" name="log" dev=dm-0 ino=4128796 scontext=system_u:system_r:procmail_t:s0 tcontext=system_u:object_r:var_log_t:s0 tclass=dir
>

> -pmr

I am having the same problem with FC5 and selinux.  My system worked
fine with FC4 but is failing with FC5.  I am using procmail to store
spam in created directory ie /save/home/$USER/Mail/spam.  When I turn
selinux off I can get procmail to work perfectly, but when I turn
selinux back on it fails to be able to write in this directory.  I know
very little about selinux and would appreciate some references as to
changes from FC4 to FC5 as well.

Greg Ennis