Re: skype problems

Lauri wrote:
Gene Heskett wrote:
Lauri wrote:
Actually 2 of them.

1. I can only make one connection per reboot, otherwise there is "something wrong with the audio device" when a new connection is attempted. My headphones continue to function normally. And my own voice is flawless both in my phones and at the other end of the call.

This is a known bug, Skype doesn't close the device. Restarting Skype
fixes that.

Use skype_dsp_hijacker.

Ok, got .7 and installed it. And it still isn't closing the device. There is not a skype_dsp_hijacker process to be found by the usual means, like a ps -ea or htop, but the sound device is still blocked.
It does report the workaround is in use, but apparently for naught.
 It appears that I'm back to the one use per reboot again.

Did you start Skype using the hijacker? It should report detecting the
bug and closing the session.

I've tried both ways. Renameing the hangup.wav got rid of that problem so skype can now be run multiple times pre reboot. skype_dsp_hijacker, if it works at all (only one audio device although I can snooker kmix into showing me 2 they are shared controls always)

See: http://forum.skype.com/viewtopic.php?t=32290

2. Reception is very intermittent, and coupled with a lot of chuttering noises. This I verified is on my end by trying the echo123 facility, even the ladies recorded voice was chopped up into just fractions of a word here and there.

This is also a common problem. I fixed this with dmix-ing.

See: http://forum.skype.com/viewtopic.php?t=4068
My solution: http://forum.skype.com/viewtopic.php?p=197195#197195

Ok, these links include a couple of pages worth of stuff that looks as if it *might* belong in /etc/asound.conf. But nowhere on these pages does it actually say what file is being edited to add this stuff.

Is it indeed /etc/asound.conf? Bear in mind this is an FC5 system fully uptodate with yumex.

/etc/asound.conf is the global file. There was also a file for normal
user, I can't remember it's name. ALSA's config file.

But this stuff can be put into /etc/asound.conf as well I assume, so I'll give that a try.

I might add that this same stuttering and endless echo of small fractions of an incoming word, completely drowning out the normal incoming sound, also plagues ekiga/gnomemeeting.

I am using a stereo headset with a boom mic, and I'm reported to sound great on the other end with skype, but while I sound great in my own ears, I am all chopped up on the other end when running ekiga.

When running skype at home, I was able to arrive at mixer settings using kamix that resulted in my not hearing myself, but I transmitted just fine. If I could hear myself then we had echo's, which is what I think is killing me now, but with this laptops ATI IXP ac97 lashup, a setting that stops me from hearing myself, also stops the transmission. There seems to be no way to isolate it into a true 4 wire circuit where what I say goes out only, and the incoming pcm is to my earphones only.

If there is a specific stanza I can add to /etc/asound.conf that would accomplish that, please tell which one in that "ALSA Project - the C library reference: PCM (digital audio) plugins" from <http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/alsa-lib/pcm_plugins.html>
will accomplish this.  Its only about 10 pages of very very small type :-(

I think I know what I need to do, but do not understand alsa well enough to recognize what it is I need to setup to accomplish this 4 wire setup, or even if its possible to do this on this laptop.

Thanks.

Lauri

--
Cheers, Gene