Re: skype problems

Gene Heskett wrote:
Lauri wrote:
Actually 2 of them.

1. I can only make one connection per reboot, otherwise there is "something wrong with the audio device" when a new connection is attempted. My headphones continue to function normally. And my own voice is flawless both in my phones and at the other end of the call.

This is a known bug, Skype doesn't close the device. Restarting Skype
fixes that.

Use skype_dsp_hijacker.

Ok, got .7 and installed it. And it still isn't closing the device. There is not a skype_dsp_hijacker process to be found by the usual means, like a ps -ea or htop, but the sound device is still blocked.
It does report the workaround is in use, but apparently for naught.
 It appears that I'm back to the one use per reboot again.

See: http://forum.skype.com/viewtopic.php?t=32290

2. Reception is very intermittent, and coupled with a lot of chuttering noises. This I verified is on my end by trying the echo123 facility, even the ladies recorded voice was chopped up into just fractions of a word here and there.

This is also a common problem. I fixed this with dmix-ing.

See: http://forum.skype.com/viewtopic.php?t=4068
My solution: http://forum.skype.com/viewtopic.php?p=197195#197195

Ok, these links include a couple of pages worth of stuff that looks as if it *might* belong in /etc/asound.conf. But nowhere on these pages does it actually say what file is being edited to add this stuff.

Is it indeed /etc/asound.conf? Bear in mind this is an FC5 system fully uptodate with yumex.

As a point of note, skype only opens a path to /dev/dsp once on the reboot and restart. It shows 3 opens to /dev/mixer when a failed call to echo123 is live, and leaves 2 of them behind when it has been hung up.

The audio system is an ATX in an HP laptop. OS is 386 FC5 with all updates on an amd64 turion system.

Does anybody have a clue to share?

Lauri

--
Cheers, Gene