Re: Experience with FC5 - what's your take?

Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu wrote:
Hell Everyone,

I want to make the switch to FC5, but I keep seeing messages from people
about problems with FC5.  It could just be me, but the frequency seems
to be a lot higher than when FC4 came out.

At the moment I have a perfectly working FC4 system.  The only hangup is
that my laptop doesn't suspend/resume, but then again, I haven't tried
very hard to get it working. Still, I'm happy with FC4.

Hi Ranbir,

If your system is working perfectly and there are no additional wishes except for suspend resume, my advise would be to stick with FC4. My experience up to now is:

1. SELinux gets in the way a lot more than it used to. Currently I have disabled it, mainly because SELinux was taking more time to understand and correct than what I wanted to do on the computer, which is a bad thing, actually.

2. The video thing is still a problem. My ATI card is now working properly, but the 3D will only work with the propriety ATI-driver, which AFAIK doesn't work on my machine. I haven't tried anything new the past two weeks though.

3. For me, the suspend appears to work, but the resume didn't. I just quit using it, because it is not essential to me (not a laptop).

I'd call myself a very well experienced Linux user.  I'm confident I
could iron out most any problems ... <snip> ....

Ask yourself if you want to spend that time and what you will get in return. If the new FC5-features are not compelling to you, stay. Otherwise, go for it.

Regards,

Ranbir

Hope this helps

Guus.