Re: Good Bye FC5

Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-05-11 at 15:07, Scot L. Harris wrote:
>

>>> open in new windows on your display.  What I want is just the
>>> menu button, though. If it had a name, I'd expect to be able
>>> to 'ssh -Y remote_machine gnome-menu' or something like that
>>> and get a working remote menu.
>> So do what I did with evolution.  Create a script on the remote machine
>> something like:
>
> I think you are missing the point of what I want.  I want to
> install a new remote machine and have all of it's programs
> available from my desktop without knowing ahead of time what
> is actually installed there.  If a new program is installed
> on that machine, I want it to show up in the remotely-executed
> menu like it does if you log in there.  X is designed to let
> anything run remotely. I don't see why the menu button should
> be an exception - someone would really have to go out of their
> way to break it - but I don't know how to invoke it by itself.

I have not tested this, buy you could try running gnome-panel on the
remote machine. I am not sure if it will try and take over your
desktop. The other thing you can do is to run Xnest, and launch the
windows manager inside the Xnest window. It will give you a complete
remote desktop inside the window. (This requires a fast connection
between the two computers.

Mikkel