Re: Good Bye FC5

On 5/11/06, Johnny <johnny_boy@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, May 11, 2006 at 07:20:44AM -0500, Rex Dieter wrote:
> Karl Larsen wrote:
> >     I upgraded to FC5 because it was claimed that it is
> > better. But some of my best "legacy" software in X-windows looks
> > diffirent and does not work well.
>
> Without mentioning any details (what software?  what problems?),
> no-one can/will fix it.

I can't speak for Karl, but I've also noticed quite a few regressions
in FC5.  In the past I've always thought that on balance, each release
of Fedora was better than the last, even if there are a few changes
that I wasn't fond of.  FC5 is different.

    - Lack of an "install everything" option requires maintaining a
      list of all the stuff that has to be installed after completing
      the initial installation, so that if I want to do another
      install, or an install of FC6 I'll be able do do so quickly.

    - The xorg radeon driver no longer works with two display heads.
      Resolving this requires installing the evil kernel-tainting
      proprietary ATI driver.

    - The epiphany web broser requires dbus, and so is no longer a
      network app, but one that can only be run from the local
      console.

    - The pwc (Phillips Web Camera) driver loads, but the output of
      the Logitec web camera can't be displayed in either TVtime or
      xawtv.

    - gnome-screensaver is lame (too few hacks, unconfigurable) and
      buggy (locks the screen at inappropriate times).

    - The nautilus button-3 menu doesn't offer a terminal.  The
      nautilus-open-terminal package adds one, but it's in the middle
      of the menu where it's less convenient, and it always opens the
      terminal on display :0.0, even when used from another display.

Sounds like you should give KDE a try.

--
To be updated...