Re: Another Network Manager Stupidity: Swapping eth0 and eth1

On Wed, 10 May 2006, Brian Millett wrote:

On Wed, 2006-05-10 at 13:00 -0400, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
On Wed, 10 May 2006, Alan J. Gagne wrote:

I had a similar problem but not NM related when I
added two 1GB nics to a box that had a 100MB onboard nic.
I wanted the two 1GB nics to be eth0 and eth1 but
the onboard nic would always revert to eth0 on reboot.
I could bind them with system-config-network but could not
get them to stay ordered to my preference.

I added the aliases to modprobe.conf to solved this issue.

alias eth0 r8169
alias eth1 r8169
alias eth2 e100

I found that this trick did not work reliably.  After enough reboots, the
device mapping would change in spite of the aliases.  The initscripts
update in updates-testing will fix the problem once and for all.

man iftab

should show you what to do.

Interesting. I had a different way of forcing out-of-order detection of interfaces when I needed it last year, but that didn't work reliably with FC5 either.

*I* shoudn't have to do *anything* (unless I need a different order than the default). It all should Just Work consistently from boot to boot. There's a bug. It's fixed (or at least worked around) in the updates-testing initscripts--check the changelog. Why that's still in updates-testing and not yet in updates is beyond me. I installed it over a month ago and I have had no problems with wandering interfaces since.

--
		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu