Re: kernel 2108 in FC4 has mucked pendrive mounting [solved]

On Wed May 10 2006 1:17 am, Claude Jones wrote:
> Running KDE-Redhat and FC4, fully up to date, with kernel 2108. I connected
> my camera over the weekend, and it refused to mount - normal behavior had
> been that a dialog would open after a few moments, and would ask what I'd
> like to do, open or ignore being the options. I got no dialog, but after a
> few moments would get a blank konqueror window and a desktop icon for the
> drive - clicking on the icon would yield the shattering glass and a second
> empty konqueror window. Yesterday, I got the same behavior with my pen
> drive. I just reverted to kernel 2096, and I got the same behavior with the
> dialog (no dialog), and konqueror window opening, but this time, the files
> on the drive were displayed in the konqueror window, and I was able to copy
> a couple to my home directory.
>
> Anyone else seeing this?

For the complete record, I cc this from the kde-redhat list; consider the case
closed. Rebooting into the current kernel has produced a renewed ability to
mount. It returned piecemeal. First, I was only able to connect to a USB port
directly on the computer - connecting to a USB hub attached to the computer
didn't work. Then, after connecting successfully to the computer port,
connecting to the hub started working. Perhaps there was some reconfiguring
going on under the hood, and it just needed more time, but all is well now. I
still don't get the dialog that asks what I want to do with the new device,
but that's not important. I insert my camera or pendrive, wait a few moments,
then a konqueror window opens displaying my device contents - I'm fine with
that
--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA